Monday, November 17, 2008

Weird things growing up


A few years ago my husband and I were talking to some friends and they were telling us about this weird custom they heard about where the mothers keep a part of the child's cord after the child is given birth. If you are Romanian you know what's coming...I had to admit! In Romania, we do it too...and when the child turns seven years old, he/she gets to open it. Why? I have no idea?! This is a custom just as weird as saving the wedding cake topper in the United States and eating it after one year. Well, we don't eat the cord after seven years (ha,ha) but we just mess around with it on our birthdays. I am attaching a picture of me when I turned seven. As you can see, the entire process created quite a stir...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After doing a little bit of research I found an article that shows other umbilical cord keepers: http://www.babycenter.com/400_should-we-save-our-babys-umbilical-cord-stump_500624_1000.bc